Monday, April 23, 2012

One More Week


It's strange to think that I only have one more week left of work, especially since this particular set of days, at one time, seemed almost unfathomable.  And I guess the best and the worst parts of the next few days will most definitely be the amount of "last times" they will ultimately contain.  For example, today will be the last Monday I'll ever work here and the last time I'll ask any of my coworkers how their weekends turned out.  And then as the middle of the week slithers dangerously closer, my lasts will turn into things like the last time I'll be filling out my time card or the last time I'll be attending a meeting here.  And then ultimately, as the final day is suddenly smiling at me as I wake into its light, it will then be the last time I trek down that hill into Valencia and the last time I see most of the people that I've spent every waking hour of my work life with for the past five years. And although most of us would rather disappear suddenly into the night than be forced to endure the sappy parade of goodbyes that most likely awaits us at the end of the week, we know it's just something in life that we all must face, as we secretly long for the moment when we get into our car on that last, beautiful day, adjusting our rear view mirror in such a way that we can't quite make out what we've left behind.





2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the last day is odd and tough. Part of me kept telling myself when I went through that recently that it was like a band-aid. Best done quickly.

    But when it was actually happening, I realized that I, like most people, usually rushed through these things. Which just makes it harder. So I stopped, I breathed, and I stayed in the moment. For me anyway, that made it a lot easier, and more memorable.

    ps. Though, in full disclosure, I spent most of my time reading this post thinking, "She had her own parking space?!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my own parking spot. Something you sort of take for granted until suddenly the maintenance guy is just standing there with his paint brush in hand, waiting eagerly for your final departure. :)

    ReplyDelete